Monday, August 16, 2010

The Start of Us...


Nic and I committed our lives together in marriage on March 27, 2010. Every day since has been magical, yet it seems our lives have been zooming by. We are starting this blog to archive every significant moment that passes by including coexisting as husband and wife, celebrations together, vacations, the trials and victories of our careers and all the small things in between that create this beautiful life.

The start of us…

Let me begin by taking you back before March 27th. When two lives collided and changed forever…

Like most girls, I had always dreamed about the day I would get engaged. I would watch show after show on TV about surprise proposals, and I would cry as if I personally knew the couple getting engaged. I would even joke about it with Nic saying that New York would be the perfect backdrop for a proposal. But I never imagined how special it was really going to be…

It was the spring semester of 2009, and I felt that any day Nic could pop the question. Every day that passed, I became more and more anxious. The more anxious I became, the more nosey I became. I tried to analyze every situation, and I tried to pull any information concerning our engagement out of my friends and family. But Nic had me completely fooled.

May 9, my sister flew in from Birmingham and Nic’s Mom and sister came into town for Mother’s day… or so I thought. Even though we had family in town, Nic insisted on taking me out to dinner to a local Italian restaurant. I was actually a bit irritated that we had to go on a date when we had company, but Nic would not back down. We were seated at a table in the front of the restaurant, and after we ordered our food I remember chuckling to myself. Nic asked me what I was laughing at. I remember telling him that I was a little irritated because I thought he would have proposed by now. Nic had this huge smile on his face, as if he new something that I didn’t, and he knelt on one knee in the middle of the restaurant. He said, “It’s funny that you would say that because…” and he pulled out the ring and asked me to be his wife. My mouth dropped because I was in complete shock! I remember saying, “Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh,” over and over again, and I remember staring at him and staring at my ring. It was the best feeling in the world!

As if the night couldn’t get any better, Nic told me that John and Karen were at the dance studio teaching some lessons, and he wanted to stop by to tell them the news. I was fine with that, but I wanted to make it quick because I wanted to go home and surprise my family. As we pulled into the parking lot, I began to recognize a few of the cars but I didn’t think anything of it until I saw my good friend Meryl’s car. I said “that looks like Meryl’s car,” but I stopped there because I didn’t want to ruin anymore surprises. As we walked up to the glass door, I could see my Dad standing inside the dance studio, and I began to cry. Nic opened the door, and standing there were all of our friends and family. I could not believe it! Even family from out of town came to help celebrate our engagement! I could truly feel all of the love and support surrounding us. I have never felt anything like that.

And to top it all off, there was a huge poster on the wall of New York City. He brought New York to me. It was a dream come true! That was the BEST day of my life!

TO READ MORE ABOUT OUR STORY INCLUDING HOW WE MET, FEEL FREE TO CHECK OUT OUR WEDDING WEBSITE, http://www.mywedding.com/nicandheather/stories.html

No comments:

Post a Comment